365th Day as an Acadsoc ESL Online Tutor




365th Day as an Acadsoc ESL Online Tutor

Last July 19, 2019 marked my 365th day as an ESL Online tutor in Acadsoc. My endeavor in the company was like a roller coaster. There were a lot of ups and downs. There were times where I am highly motivated to work but on the other hand, there were also instances that I am already in the attempt of giving up.

“Beginning is always the hardest part”, and that saying was definitely true. Acadsoc was my first ESL company. I applied for the position thinking what if it would be a lot easier for me to work in the comfort of the place where I lived. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. I got no certifications that would make me more eligible for the position. I got no teaching experience. I got only confidence when I worked out my application. I was currently working as a Customer Service Representative in a BPO company situated in Davao City when I submitted my application for an ESL Online Tutor. Luckily, I got hired. That was when I already decided to apply for a better internet service provider. I only have a laptop, headset, and a pocket Wi-Fi when I process my application.

I started working in the company as a part-time tutor, teaching 2-4 hours every day, while working as a full-time CSR in a call center. The first month was really a struggle. I’m having a lot of trouble on how to manage my time well. I often cancel classes, clocked in late or even received bad ratings/complaints. Those negative doings during my first month as a tutor prolong my probationary period. The probationary period usually takes only a month in Acadsoc. Then I was extended for another week and much worse was I even extended for a month. Since I got no acquaintances who were working as an online tutor, any problems, clarifications, and even small concerns, I always raise it to my TM. The good thing was, my Tutor Manager was so patient enough to deal with my tardiness/penalties, answer my queries and attend my daily needs to become better. She is very responsive. She never failed to guide me on how to do, not just ordinary things but as well as great things.

For the new tutor’s now, I also experienced low bookings, locked slots, salary deductions, and complaints. That is really normal. However, even if it is, doing nothing about it is not good at all. It is acceptable to experience all of these, but we can do a lot better on how to work it out. We can improve by making sure that we have a convincing recorded introduction, and our profile picture looks formal and friendly that somewhat catches the student’s attention. There were also pieces of training provided by the company that we can attend. Each training has corresponding certificates that we can upload along with our profile. Uploading certifications were also a useful way to convince students to book our class.

Later this year, in February, I found out that there’s a closed group on Facebook for online tutors of Acadsoc. I was enlightened and even more motivated when I became a member of the group. It was the place where, tutors share ideas, express their thoughts and even lift each other when one is feeling down and weary. Now, there was more reason for me to enjoy working in the company.

As I was able to reach this milestone working in Acadsoc, I am now beyond grateful for everything. I am now working for 8 - 11 hours every day. I got a pay increase. I am now a full-time online tutor that enjoys the perks of working from home, receiving bonuses and reasonable pay in my own flexible working hours. My unending thanks to those who became part of this success. My Tutor Manager, my newly found friends /co-teachers; Jha, Sherryl Mae, Trisha, Emma, Norfran, Ryan and CJ (#TeamSurvivor #TeamGala), my family and as well as my loved one whose support was overflowing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ACADSOC

Why ACADSOC? Why not?